AutoNOMOS Labs is part of the Artificial Intelligence Group of the Freie Universität Berlin and is funded by BMBF (the Ministry of Education and Research). The team, led by Prof. Dr. Raúl Rojas, was started in 2006. In 2007 they reached the semi-finals of the DARPA Urban Challenge 2007.
The Autonomos Labs team has or is currently working on the following projects, all of which should ultimately lead to fully driverless vehicles:
- BrainDriver – hands-free driving using a commercial EEG device
- Autonomous Taxi – an iPad app used to call a driverless taxi
- MadeInGermany – their latest autonomous car which in Sept 2011 successfully traveled 50 miles (80 km) through the streets of Berlin.
- iDriver – remote control of a vehicle from a handheld touchscreen interface (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.)
- Spirit of Berlin – the driverless car that was entered into the 2007 Darpa Urban Challenge
- eyeDriver – software that allows a ‘driver’ to control a car with simple eye movements